Loved the concert? Take the music home with you.
ABS CDs Available for Sale
CD prices: $15.
ABS CDs are available for sale at every ABS concert. To order by mail, send check for the correct amount plus $5.00 for shipping and handling to:
American Balalaika Symphony
3811 N. 14th Street
Arlington, VA 22201
Don't forget to include your name, address, zip code, telephone number, and the names of the CDs you would like to purchase.
Balalaika Music Samples
These sites provide a flavor of music performed on Russian folk instruments like the balalaika, domra, and bayan. The selections range from folk to chamber music to symphonic music. You will find segments of songs as well as entire pieces, mostly in mp3 format. Let us know if there are other good examples on the web of music performed on balalaikas and domras that you think should appear on this page. Also, we will soon feature some of our own recordings.
- Atlanta Balalaika Society, CD tracks
- Barynya, many CD tracks from many groups
- Cabaret Russe, CD tracks
- Carousel Ensemble, CD tracks
- The Folk Instruments Orchestra (Belarus), CD excerpts
- Ensemble Kolyada (Ukraine), CD tracks
- Liberty Balalaika Ensemble, CD tracks
- Moscow Nights Russian Folk, CD tracks
- Alexander Paperny, CD tracks
- Pavlovski's Balalaika Orchestra, live recordings
- Richka.com, broad collection including BDAA convention
- Rostov Balalaika, two full songs (check out the "song")
Balalaika Orchestras Today
Since the late 19th century, when Vasily Andreyev introduced the modern concept of a Russian Folk Orchestra composed of balalaikas and domras, these orchestras have been founded and continue to thrive in cities throughout the world. This page connects you to some of the balalaika orchestras around the world. Many more exist in Russia and other East European countries. There are also many fine smaller Russian folk ensembles that you can hear in the US, Russia, and elsewhere. You can connect with some of these in the "orchestras" secton of the BDAA website.
While you're here, check out the link to the Ossipov Orchestra website below. It is a new website for one of the best-known Russian Folk Orchestras in the world. And for a short history of the balalaika and balalaika orchestras, see The Magic of Balalaika Music.
- Balalaika and Domra Association of America
- The Los Angeles-St Petersburg Russian Folk Orchestra
- University of Arizona Balalaika Orchestra
- Atlanta Balalaika Society
- Liberty Balalaika Ensemble
- Balka Ensemble (San Francisco Bay Area)
- See also: BDAA, Orchestras/Ensembles
Russian Music & Culture
Here you can connect to a few broader-themed sites related to the music and culture of Russia. Let us know about other sites with useful information in this category.
DC Area Web Resources
These items should be of particular interest to our own local community, here in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
For a short history of the balalaika and balalaika orchestras, see The Magic of Balalaika Music.